Family Fun Advent Calendar

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sometimes I can get very carried away with the gift giving part of Christmas and I forget to slow down and really enjoy the time with my family. So last year I decided that I wanted to make an Advent Calendar to really help us get into the Christmas Spirit! Not a calendar with gifts or candy, but one that brought us together as a family to do something fun.. and this is what I came up with.

 Ooops don't mind this photo... the "Christmas Day" envelope should be at the other end
since this is a countdown... my bad! :)
 
I made the "envelopes" using 12x12 scrapbook paper. I cut each sheet into four equal pieces.
 
my handsome little helper

Then I folded the two sides into the center and overlapped them just a bit.
 
 
 
I cut an opening in the front of each one to make it easier to get the card out.
 

I then hot-glued along the bottom ( to stop the paper from falling out) and along the back to close it up... and here is the finished "envelope".
 
 
 
I came up with a list of fun things for our family to do together throughout December... I start filling up the calendar with things that we need to get done to get ready for the holidays, like put up the Christmas tree(s), write letters to Santa, etc.
Then I add in lots of fun little things that we like to do together.
 
Our list...
decorate our Christmas tree
decorate the kids' Christmas trees
drive around and see the Christmas lights
write letters to Santa
make homemade ornaments
make a snowman (snow or cotton balls)
make a gingerbread house
special delivery comes from Santa (our elf)
go visit Santa
watch a special Christmas movie
go ice skating
open a special Christmas Eve present (new Christmas PJ's)
Hayride
Random Acts of Kindness day
Bake and decorate cookies
The True Meaning of Christmas
pick a special gift for your brother/sister
make a Christmas wreath
Snowball fight
family Christmas party
Christmas Craft
Rudolph headbands
Family Hand print Christmas Tree
Homemade red and green play dough

Some photos from last years fun!!!!

 mmm chocolate fountain party

 hayride

Christmas Lights
 
 Feel free to print my list here. (it is ready to be printed onto labels- the 30 count sheets- which I then stick to little pieces of colored card stock and put into the envelopes)

 
 
 
The kids were excited to pick out all of the scrap booking paper to make the envelopes. I used a red and white striped clothes line rope that I purchased from the Dollar Tree and some mini clothes pins to hang it along my wall. Our family is really loving
It reminds us that no matter how hectic the holidays can be, the most important thing is to come together and spend time with the people you love!!!!

Hope everyone is having fun preparing for the holidays! :)
 
 
 

share this on::
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Digg
2 Comments »

This entry was posted on Saturday, December 1, 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Pin It!

2 Responses to “Family Fun Advent Calendar”

  1. Shannon this is Awesome! I've been looking for a fun advent calendar and this is the best one I've seen. I love how it kind of forces us to slow down and enjoy the season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Holly!!!! That's means a lot! I know it's a little late but I hope you and your family had an amazing Christmas:) ... oh and a Happy Birthday!!!

      Delete

 
Pin It button on image hover